Field of Logistics

Looking to Upgrade Your Career? Learn Where to Head Next in the Field of Logistics!

If you’re currently reading this, then it’s a safe assumption that you’re not only an HGV driver but also someone looking for a good career step to take. If so, you likely already have your Driver CPC, since that’s the most fundamental licence necessary in order to start driving professionally. However, there are several ways you can branch out from there. Each of them really just depends on what sort of vehicle you would like to be driving. Keep reading to learn some popular steps you might take, as well as what they might entail for your HGV driving future.

Cat C1

This licence category is specifically for the smallest kinds of haulage vehicles out on the roadways. It’s also what the majority of professional van drivers carry. Visualise vans and minibus vehicles to get an idea for this category. The Cat C licence category lets you drive vehicles in a weight range of 3,500kg up to 7,500kg in total weight. This can be either with or without an accompanying trailer weighing as much as 750kg itself. As with any licence, you have to do a bit of practice driving vehicles of this size. You must also pass a practical driving test and two-part theory exam.

Cat C1+E

This is the largest licence level which you can achieve, and it basically means you’re able to drive all heavy goods vehicles. This has the broadest range of vehicles, which means you can choose any HGV driving job available to you because you have a maximum qualification. You even get to ask for higher wages for your work, which is often accompanied by better hours and perks too. This licence lets you drive any vehicle of any category, even with trailers over 750kg. To get ready for this particular licence, you’re going to need to get the lower licences plus take another practical test and a pair of theory tests.

Cat C

For this licence, you get to either upgrade straight from a standard Cat B licence or upgrade from a Cat C1 or your Cat C1+E. Cat C driver licences let you operate vehicles in excess of 3,500kg with trailers as much as 750kg. Once more, this kind of licence mandates both a practical test and theory exam, and you might need help in achieving them.

Cat C+E

This is an upgrade to a conventional Cat1 licence. This covers all the sorts of vehicles that a normal Cat1 handles but also permits some additional size and weight. This licence lets you drive anything in excess of 3,500kg, although you get much more allowance for your trailer. Once more, this involves a practical exam and a two-part theory test.

In summary, you can see that there are many different licences to pick from, so which one you go for really does depend on what sort of HGV driver you would like to be. Most HGV training centres have trainers working closely with students and professionals in understanding just what each qualification means, so you can pick the direction that is best for you. They should also provide comprehensive training, support, and practise tests, all so you get a strong start to your new career.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *